Aubergine Purée (Baba Ganoush)
1 tablespoon thyme
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 clove of garlic
1 heaped teaspoon of cumin
Optional: 1/2 preserved lemon
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Wash and cut the aubergines in half lengthwise.
- Prick the flesh all over with the tip of a knife, taking care not to pierce the skin.
- Place the aubergine halves on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Sprinkle with thyme, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and bake for 30 minutes until they are golden and tender.
- Allow to cool and scoop out the flesh with a spoon.
- In a blender, mix the aubergine flesh with a drizzle of lemon juice, finely chopped garlic, cumin and preserved lemon. Add salt, pepper and 1 or 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Enjoy as an aperitif, on toast, with tomato carpaccio, grilled fish or chicken!
How to serve
Chef’s Tips: This is delicious with a touch of zaatar and fresh strawberries or raspberries.